Saturday, October 09, 2004

Weird Polling Numbers

Seems to me a lot of the political polls have been behaving weirdly. Some results favor Bush, other Kerry and often skewing by larger values than the margin of error. Maybe this is due to ideological skew in the questions introducing bias, but I have another idea.

I was just called by someone doing a survey of new home owners. Problem? I don't own a home, I rent an apartment. It is not unusual that I would get call from this survey, since they basically call people at random. What is unusual is that this time the woman on the other end had a strong Indian accent. I had a hard time understanding her and I believe it was mutual. When I explained that I'm not a homeowner she ignored me and kept right on going with her script. So I hung up.

Then something occured to me. How many of these polling firms places are outsourcing their legwork and data gathering overseas? If this is common that may explain the poor quality of polling these days.

No comments: