Wednesday, March 09, 2005

D&D = Security Risk?

Evidently the Israeli Defense Forces think roleplaying is a sign of character weakness. Specifically anyone who admits to playing D&D is given a low security clearance.

That stinks. Where I work at the Army, a large number of the younger employees are D&D/roleplaying/Magic the Gathering nerds.

Honestly, I find this kind of surprising. D&D is a descendant of a lot of wargaming which, I would think, would be popular among military-minded individuals. Combat tactics are a big part of D&D among other things. I suppose this is more of a reaction against the sort of mentality behind the game rather than the game itself though.

UPDATE: For a better (and funnier) post on the subject go here.

UPDATE2: Turns out that this is actually talking about Live Action RolePlayers (LARP) who play Real D&D. Not "normal" people who play pen and paper D&D. Evidently 50% or LARPers fail their psych tests so they are washing all of them out on principle. Thats fine with me since LARPers are so nerdy I won't even play with them. Unless it's Cowboy Action Shooting, cause guns are fun.

No comments: