Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Sly Cooper

Remind me not to stay up until midnight playing videogames when I have to work the next morning. Izzy noticed I look tired today.

I'm about a third of the way through this one and it is really fun. It's a 3D platformer about a thief stealing his family heritage back from other theives and malcontents. Sly is a raccoon and, well, I like raccoons. It comes from having a big stuffed one as a kid.

While similar to the Spyro games, I like Sly better. As you progress through Sly, you pick up new special abilities like a diving attack, a roll move, some new leaps, and "the exploding hat trick". Compare this to Spyro where you basically have the same options through the whole game - charge, fire, jump, glide. Sly also lets you use your hideout to go back to previous levels easily once you have beaten them. So if you missed a clue and didn't get a level's power up, you can go directly there any time you want.

Like the latter Spyro games, there are mini-games which are ok. Some are fun, some not so fun, but you have to beat them all to advance which kind of stinks. Even from the beginning, Sly takes a bit of skill and timing to play well. I kind of like this but Amy thought it was too hard. It gets a lot easier once the timing clicks I assure you.

No comments: