Friday, March 18, 2005

Spring Cleaning

While Amybear is slaving away on her thesis I took the time to do some spring cleaning. One thing I did was clean out my humidifier. I was like the insides were full of sand and metal flakes. Ewwww.

My humidifier is one of the boiling types, so water is fed from a big jug of water into a basin and then boiled into steam by a heating coil there. This same process is often used multiple times to create distilled water, you boil water and then condense the steam to create clean water. Contaminants and particulates are left behind after each cycle of this.

Why is this so nasty? The unit has one input, the tap water I fill the jug with. So all that nasty crap is from my tap water. Dissolved in it somewhere. Yuck. 'Scuse me while I change the filter on my Brita pitcher.

No comments: