Sunday, March 20, 2005

Palm Sunday

That's today for about another half hour. The interesting thing about being engaged to a Jew is that Amybear asks lot of easy questions about Christianity that I should be able to answer but can't. For instance, she asked me what palm sunday was for earlier this week. I told her that it was when Jesus entered Jerusalem to a lot of fanfare right before his death. Technically correct, but I really failed to capture the immensity of the thing didn't I?

Palm Sunday isn't just the day Jesus went into Jerusalem with great acclaim. Palm Sunday is the coronation procession of the Kingdom of Heaven.
Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!
Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!
See, your king comes to you,
righteous and having salvation,
gentle and riding on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
The rocks would have cried out for good reason on that day.

But Christ took his seat at the Kingdom, not by sitting on gilt throne and sending out conquering armies as everyone thought, but by submitting to death and dying for his brothers. What an amazing thing. What a complete fulfillment of the greatest being least. Thank you my conquering King. It is on this day that I can rejoice in having no King but Christ.

No comments: