Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Theology Crusaders

Messy Christian is upset with arguments over theology. She has a point. I don't think a lot of the doctrinal disputes out there are anything to break fellowship over.

For instance I'm a Calvinist. You may not realize that because I don't discuss it much. Guys in my bible study are Arminians. So what? My pastor sent out emails to gauge interest in a sermon series along these lines and my response was "Should it matter? The walk is the same."

This whole discussion brings to mind the message to the Church Ephesus in Revelations:
I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first.
But you can't just throw doctrine out the window either. That chapter continues with this message to Pergamum:
Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and by committing sexual immorality. Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. Repent therefore!
The message to Thyatira is similar.

You need love and strength of spirit, but you also need good teaching. You can't get away with just having one or the other.

No comments: