Friday, February 11, 2005

Irreverant Bible Commentary

IMAO has been doing some very irreverant bible commentary. He's Catholic (and running a comedy site) so some of this can be excused. Thinking back across literature there is an interesting phenomenon. One is that the clowns and comic characters are the ones who can most easily speak the truth. In The Three Musketeers it was Porthos, the most foolish of the Musketeers, who points out:
Do you know that to twist that damned Milady's neck would be a smaller sin than to twist those of these poor devils of Huguenots, who have committed no other crime than singing in French the psalms we sing in Latin?
Continuing this tradition, Frank J. points out:
We have Jesus, the son of God walking among man and delivering messages of immeasurable value, and, having that, I don't give a rats ass about the validity of Genesis. It's piddling crap in comparison. Jesus showed me my value and my worth, and the exact details of how humanity came about thousands or millions of years ago will not affect that. Furthermore, the more time spent arguing about it, the more people think Christians are loons and the less time Jesus's word gets spread.
While I don't exactly share all of his sentiments, I do understand where he is coming from.

Perhaps one day I will weigh in on Intelligent Design vs. Evolution in depth, but it won't be today. Long story short on the subject, neither one strikes me as particularly good science.

No comments: