Monday, February 07, 2005

Music by Request

Joan over at Seven Inches of Sense asked me to blog about my music tastes. "It'll be fun if your into music." Truth be told I'm not actually into music that much, but I'll fill it out anyway.

Random 10 Albums Semi-Sorta Randomly pulled from my collection:
Beethoven for Dummies
The Blues Brother's Movie Soundtrack
Conspiracy No 5 - Third Day
Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits - Chuck Berry (duh)
Speechless - Steven Curtis Chapman
Tidal - Fiona Apple
An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer by Tom Lehrer (double duh)
Listen Closely - Small Town Poets
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (triple duh)
Guitar Slinger - the Brian Setzer Orchestra

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
I don't currently have much. Maybe a few files, probably less than 10. I listen to a lot of christian music and the thought of pirating it doesn't appeal to me. It's like stealing a Bible. Plus my good computer speakers died of old age and I haven't replaced them. My other computer speakers are small and so music sounds like crap on them. I probably have about 300 megs stocked away on a backup CD somewhere though.

The last CD you bought is:
All Things New - Steven Curtis Chapman

What is the song you last listened to before this message?
The Journey from Speechless another Steven Curtis Chapman album

Five songs that you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:
Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer - Its funny, most Sixpence music is about being depressed and frustrated artists, but because this song is their only big hit people assume they do bubblegum pop. I'm a big Sixpence fan and have their second and third albums. I went to two of their concerts back before they hit it big. Plus back when Amybear and I were still awkwardly trying to find out if we liked each other, I had her use her mp3 finding expertise to get me this song and the single's b-side as well. So this one has personal history

Bring Me to Life by Evanescence - Yes, this is the most overplayed song of the 21st century. It doesn't stop me from liking it though. As a Christian I can look at this song spiritually as my need for the renewing power of the Holy Spirit. After all within Him I'm dead. But my enjoyment of the song isn't just theological. Before I met Amybear, I tended to withdraw emotionally and use humor to distance people. I still do that some, but with Amybear I can open up. She knows everything about me and I know everything about her. Maybe thats part of why I love her so much.

Prophet, Priest, and King by Small Town Poets - This is a great song. I linked the the lyrics for a reason since Small Town Poets is fairly unknown even for a Christian band. Its a song about how personal God is. You can't talk to the president or the Queen yet you can sit down with the Lord of Creation and have a chat whenever you want.

Everything I Hate also by Small Town Poets - Another great song from their debut album. This one is about struggling with sin in your life. In various times in my life I've just been stuck in a wicked cycle. Too strong to let God take charge, but too weak to break out of it yourself.

My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry - This is another one Amybear found for me. Its kind of naughty but I just makes me laugh. To think, this was horribly risque when it was originally recorded. Now it would probably be used as a kids song.

Who are you gonna pass this stick to?
No one. I refuse to pass on chain letters as a matter of principle. Hopefully the mounting bad karma won't cause me irreparable physical injury. However if you think this sort of thing is neat and want to do it voluntarily with no pressure from me, drop me a line and I'll add a link here.

A Small Victory is posting her response to these requests.

No comments: