Sunday, February 20, 2005

Walter and Adam

Remember the Adopt a Sniper fund that Kim du Toit organizes? The worst has happened. Army Sgt. Adam Plumondore, one of the fund recipients, was killed in a carbombing in Mosul on Wednessday. He was a scout-sniper in the 24th Infantry Regiment in Mosul. Information about the family is here and more about remaining snipers in his unit is here.

I didn't know Adam personally and I am sure I am one of the least of those touched by this tragedy. I am at least a little ashamed too. Every day one of our own has paid the ultimate price in the defense of our freedom. Yet it is only when someone I know, albeit second hand, is touched, that I am grieved by it.
Gracious Lord, be with the scout-snipers of the Deuce Four this day. Comfort their hearts and guide their hands. Heal the void left behind with the death of one of their own. Strengthen them in this time of grief and empower their spirits to once again take up the heavy burden they carry for each of us.

Commit them to the execution of your Justice against their enemies. But guide their hands and temper their spirits with your Goodness and Mercy towards those who lay down their arms. Keep them safe and strong so that they can come home to their families whole in both body and spirit.

Be with the Plumondore family this day and every day forward. Be with Adam's parents and siblings to spread your peace and comfort in their time of loss. I thank you for the grace you have shown them through their friends and neighbors these past few days. May those in a position to give comfort be continually moved to do so.

I pray that Adam's soul has found rest with you, in a place where there is no war and the only shooting is done among friends.

And I pray this comfort in peace not just for Adam and his family, but for all those who have experienced loss in this conflict. Keep them ever in my heart and memory, Lord.

I pray all these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: