Friday, February 18, 2005

Prior Engagement

Sorry about the lackluster blogging for the past couple of days. I had a good reason though. Yesterday I snuck down to North Carolina and popped the question to Amybear. She said yes. She was expecting me today, so I stole a march on her and showed up on her doorstep last night when she least expected it. Details to follow.

After showing the ring to my mother in Delaware, I stopped off at Amybear's mother's place in Northern Virginia. We chatted for a while and, like all good mothers, she insisted I eat something. We discussed the preparations for the wedding and talked about how the families would react to my being Christian and Amy being a Jew. The more Orthodox part of Amy's family is going to have a hard time with it.

I drove on into the night and arrived at Amybear's apartment at around 8pm. Because she had no idea I was coming, I decided to have a little fun. I bought a cell phone just for this purpose several weeks ago. Amybear did not know it existed. So I walked up to her door, ring and phone in hand, and dialed her number.

Unbeknownst to me, Amybear had been taking a nap. She woke up a wee bit groggy. "Hey I thought you were at a Bible Study thing," she said.

"I miss you," I replied, expertly dodging the question of where exactly I was.

"Awww, I miss you too."

"I wish you were here," I said leadingly.

"No, your supposed to be here" said she.

"Well what would you do if I was?"

"I don't know..."

"Why don't you open your front door and find out."

So she opened the door and there I was, a day early with ring in hand. Amybear was in a state of shock. I had expected her to start tearing up at this point, but she was just too surprised. She insisted I come inside and said that I had to do it right. So I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She said yes, but that I wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow. She hadn't finished cleaning the bathroom yet and she still needed to go to the grocery store.

I laughed. She looked down at the ring on her finger and kept asking me if I was really here or if she was still sleeping. Finally about ten minutes later it started to sink in. She called her parents and teared up a bit. I called mine and told them to pass the word.

"You got me good. You really got me good." And so I had, and she's mine for the rest of my life.

No comments: