Friday, February 11, 2005

Knives

I carry a knife on a regular basis. Don't worry I'm not Crocodile Dundee, it's a Gerber Ridge Knife. The liner-locking blade is under two inches, so small it doesn't qualify as a weapon. That means I can carry it at work. I work in a federal building so carrying a weapon is a no-no. A federal crime no-no. It is also matte black so very few people notice it, even exposed on my belt.

I have discovered that having even a little knife on me is really handy. My brother noticed too which is why he bought himself one. He actually bought a mini ridge which is about 20% smaller than my knife. It's so small, he keeps it in his coin purse.

Should my Ridge ever break or I ever need an upgrade, the Kershaw Ken Onion Chive is probably a good choice. I also like its larger brother, the leek. Ken Onion is the designer of both and they feature his Speed Safe opening technology. They both come in Boron Carbide and Titanium Nitride finishes that are nice, tough, and black.

UPDATE: On the topic of sharp pointy objects, a coworker noticed the sword background on my computer. He mentioned that MWR is running a beginners fencing class during March. Tuesday is a good night for me and the class is only $35. I may have to try it.

No comments: