Friday, November 19, 2004

Target Bans Salvation Army

You know those bell ringers with their red kettles that mark the holiday season? Target is having none of it. Hugh Hewitt has been reporting on this here, here, here, and here.

Certain parts of the blogosphere are abuzz. I'd just like to point out that I have, to date, spent one hour ringing a Salvation Army bell during the Christmas season. It was two years ago at a Target on Route 202 in Wilmington, Delaware. I had the kettle at the southern entrance to the store (they were running two kettles, one at each entrance). It was cold, windy, and frankly miserable outside, but the folks at Target were very nice and even offered me a complimentary hot chocolate which I declined.

My guess is that this is the work of some corporate idiot who thought it would be a good idea. Chances are they gave no thought towards the long yuletide tradition they were breaking with. Oops. While I can sympathize with Target, I may still be shopping at Kohls and Walmart this year.

Hat tip to In the Agora

UPDATE: Ambra Nykol is playing devils advocate and taking Target's side.

No comments: