Thursday, November 18, 2004

Tradition!

Ambra Nykol is writing about tradition and the breakdown of authority figures. Basically my analysis comes down to Proverbs 1:
Listen, my son, to your father's instruction
and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
They will be a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.
Its so important Solomon repeats himself in Proverbs 6:
My son, keep your father's commands
and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
Bind them upon your heart forever;
fasten them around your neck.
When you walk, they will guide you;
when you sleep, they will watch over you;
when you awake, they will speak to you.
For these commands are a lamp,
this teaching is a light,
and the corrections of discipline
are the way to life...
The '60s was a time when parents teaching was forsaken. Now we have reaped the benefits. The baby boomers, by and large, forsake eternity to live by the moment. They have taught their children nothing because they foolishly discarded the wisdom of their own parents.

We are on exceptionally dangerous ground my friends. As one of my co-workers has often said "traditions are solutions for problems we have forgotten."

Oh and when I hear the word "tradition" I start humming the tune from Fiddler on the Roof as well. Now its stuck in my head. Thanks Ambra.

No comments: